Johnston Canyon Icewalk, Banff – Evening Tour
Discover one of Banff National Park’s most popular hiking trails at night during this small-group tour. Watch the frozen waterfalls shimmer as you embark on a Johnston Canyon night walk beneath the stars, in quiet darkness.
|Price for:||1 Participant|
|Age restriction:||Minimum age for participation - 8 years|
Watch the frozen waterfalls shimmer in quiet darkness beneath the stars!
Explore Johnston Canyon quipped with a headlight and a guide leading the way. Marvel at shimmering frozen waterfalls as you hike along a suspended catwalk. The Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk is all about heightening your senses, appreciating the darkness, and enjoying the silence of a night spent beneath the stars.
Follow your guide through the narrow, water-formed canyon to the canyon’s lower falls. The suspended catwalks, built into the limestone walls, make this an easy trip for everyone. Along the way, your guide will highlight unique features by powerful flashlight. You’ll pause for moments of quiet and darkness to embrace an appreciation for spending time in the canyon at night.
At the turnaround point, the Lower Falls, your guide will illuminate the expanding ice that envelops the rushing water and escort you through a natural tunnel onto the viewing platform, next to the cascading Lower Falls themselves. Here, you’ll warm-up with hot chocolate and a maple cookie snack.
During the return journey you’ll have the opportunity to walk without your headlamp (should you wish!). You’ll be amazed as to how quickly your eyes adjust to the darkness, enough for you to travel through the pine forest guided only by the ambient light of the moon and the stars above your head.
- Travel along the Bow Valley Parkway, a prime wildlife habitat.
- Walk along steel walkways built into Johnston Canyon walls giving a stunning view down the canyon walls to the river and ice formations below.
- Walk through a natural cave feature for a unique view of the Lower Falls.
- See spectacular, gigantic pillars of ice.
Duration: 2.5 hours with 1.5 to 2 hours for the icewalk.
Walking distance: 2.2 km
When: December – April Tours Tuesday, Thursday – Sunday 6:30pm / 7:30pm
- Professional certified guide
- Ice cleats that can be attached to your boots and use of hiking poles
- Souvenir headlamp
- Hot Chocolate and a maple cookie snack
- Hotel pickup and drop off (Banff only)
Need to know:
- Minimum age for this tour is 8 years.
- This tour does not walk on the ice. You will be following the steel catwalks that are built into the canyon wall and allow a spectacular view down the canyon walls to the ice and river below.
- Degree of difficulty: moderate / intermediate
- Please be prepared for mountain weather and dress in full ski wear including thermals, a sweater, a winter jacket, snow pants, winter boots, a hat, and glove.
- All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Pick up and drop off can be made from most hotels in Banff.
- Maximum group size: 12 people.
Whether you are looking for a unique experience gift idea or fun things to do in Banff in winter, the Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk is the way to go.
The Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk takes place at Banff Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience
CANADIAN SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE!
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk has been officially designated as part of the Signature Experiences Collection® by the Canadian Tourism Commission. The CTC believes that this esteemed group of selectees exemplify “once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences...and show the world what Canada’s tourism brand is all about”.