Johnston Canyon Icewalk, Banff
Discover one of the most popular winter attractions in Banff National Park. Johnston Canyon is home to Banff’s most spectacular frozen waterfalls. This guided Icewalk takes you into the canyon walls and along steel catwalks to a natural marvel that has been designated a Canadian Signature Experience.
|Price for:||1 Participant|
|Age restriction:||Minimum age for participation - 8 years|
Johnston Canyon Icewalk (Daytime)
Johnston Canyon Icewalk (Evening)
A world of frozen waterfalls and pillars of blue ice.
When you arrive at the canyon, your guide will make sure everyone is safe and comfortable, providing ice-cleats that strap on over your winter shoes. This makes walking on the sometimes-icy trail simple as you travel along catwalks built into the limestone walls.
You winter trek begins with a gentle walk to the lower falls. You’ll hike through a natural cave to gaze down at the flowing waters of the frozen falls up close, following your guide to the breathtaking upper falls, a sparkling tower of ice that rises 30 metres above your head. These gigantic pillars of ice are the highlight of the tour. Ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen columns.
This tour does not actually walk on the ice (as it is fragile and dangerous). You will be following a trail and steel catwalks that are built into the canyon wall. They allows for spectacular views down the canyon walls to the river and ice below. The steel catwalks vary in height from ground level up to approximately 10m above the canyon.
You’ll also travel along the Bow Valley Parkway, a prime wildlife habitat, and learn how Johnston Canyon was formed.
Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk: This is Johnston Canyon as you've never imagined! Using powerful flashlights and headlamps, your tour guide will illuminate the Canyon, the spectacular frozen rock walls and the "Cathedral of Ice" at the Lower Falls, offering a truly unique perspective on this stunning environment. The Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk is all about heightening your senses, appreciating the darkness, the scents of the fresh pine forest and enjoying the silence of a night spent beneath the stars.
What is the difference between the day tour to Johnston Canyon and the Evening Icewalk?
The day and evening tour are different lengths of time, elevation and distance. The day tour is 4 hours long and the evening is 2 and a half hours. The daytime tour goes to the upper and lower falls and the evening icewalk goes to the lower falls. The evening icewalk includes a headlamp, which you get to keep at the end of the tour.
- Travel along the Bow Valley Parkway, a prime wildlife habitat.
- Walk along steel walkways built into Johnston Canyon walls giving an stunning view down the canyon walls to the river and ice formations below.
- Walk through a natural cave feature for a unique view of the lower waterfalls.
- See spectacular, gigantic pillars of ice.
Duration: Daytime Icewalk: 4 hours Evening Icewalk: 2.5 hours
Walking distance: Daytime Icewalk: 5.4 km Evening Icewalk: 2.2 km
Season: December – April
- Professional certified guide
- Ice cleats that can be attached to your boots
- Hiking poles
- Hot Chocolate and a maple cookie snack
- Hotel pickup and drop off (Banff only)
Need to know:
- Minimum age for this tour is 8 years.
- Walking distance:
- Daytime Icewalk: 5.4 km
- Evening Icewalk: 2.2 km
- Degree of difficulty: moderate / intermediate
- Please be prepared for mountain weather and dress in full ski wear including thermals, a sweater, a winter jacket, snow pants, winter boots, a hat, and glove.
- All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Pick up and drop off can be made from most hotels in Banff.
- Maximum group size: 12 people.
Whether you are looking for a unique experience gift idea or fun things to do in Banff in winter, the Johnston Canyon Icewalk is the way to go.
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk takes place at Banff Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience
CANADIAN SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE!
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk has been officially designated as part of the Signature Experiences Collection® by the Canadian Tourism Commission. The CTC believes that this esteemed group of selectees exemplify “once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences...and show the world what Canada’s tourism brand is all about”.