The Really Gay History Tour
It's time for Vancouver's secrets to come out of the closet. The wild, untold history of Vancouver's LGBTQ2+ community comes alive on The Really Gay History Tour. This walking tour is a celebration through stories of unity, struggle, and celebration by the unsung heroes who forever changed the social fabric of the city.
|Where:||Vancouver, British Columbia|
|Age restriction:||Minimum age for participation - 14 years|
|Price for:||1 Participant|
This unique experience gift is the most fun you can have touring Vancouver!
Immerse yourself in the culture and history of Vancouver's LGBTQ2+ community on this unique guided walking tour.
The fun begins when you meet your guide, the man in the pink hat, outside Vancouver City Centre Skytrain Station on West Georgia Street. Throughout the Really Gay History Tour, he’ll regale you with stories about the wild history of Vancouver’s LGBTQ2+ community … the struggle, unity, and oh so much humour.
The tour heads over to Granville Street, once home to the city’s very first gay bars. Weaving a path through Imperial Court coronations, gay struggle at the United Church, busting the myth of Patient Zero, and discovering the history of the city’s first PRIDE parade at Nelson Park, you’ll find yourself in the gaybourhood on Davie Street.
The guided walking tour continues through the historic West End as you discover protests, Jim Deva Plaza, a transgender campaigner who blew the whistle on the biggest crime in Vancouver history, bookstore bombings, Vancouver’s secret gay village, and the remarkable story of two-spirited warrior Gone to the Spirits.
Your tour finishes in the heart of the historic Davie Street Village with its wonderful array of restaurants and bars. The perfect place to enjoy a post-tour cocktail!
- Discover the stories of an LGBTQ2+ community that fought back.
- Visit the sites of bookstore bombings, Imperial Court coronations, police raids, the “Kiss-Ins” of Granville Street, and the gayest beer parlour in town.
- Explore Granville Street, Robson Square, the tree-lined West End, and the historic Davie Street Village.
Duration: approximately 2-hours
When: April – November Sundays at 10:00am
Need to know:
- Suitable for ages 14+. The tour is designed for adult audiences and does contain references to adult themes.
- How much walking is involved? Approximately 1.5 - 2km at a relaxed moderate pace.
- This tour is wheelchair accessible.
- In the summer please bring a sweater or jacket. It can get chilly in the evenings. In the spring or fall please bring a hat and gloves.
- The tour happens rain or shine. We recommend you bring an umbrella.
- The maximum number of participants on this tour is 20 people.
Whether you are looking for a unique Vancouver sightseeing tour or for a great gift experience, you'll enjoy discovering Vancouver's history from a new perspective.
The Really Gay History Tour takes place at Vancouver, British Columbia. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience