Take your Banff trip to new heights with this unique, exhilarating hiking and climbing adventure. The Banff Via Ferrata Tour, a Canadian Signature Experience, uses a system of safety ropes, stairs and railings to bring you to places normally accessible only to experienced climbers.
Perfect for those looking for an adrenaline pumping experience to check off their bucket list!
Overlooking the town of Banff, Mount Norquay’s Via Ferrata lets you scale a mountain, with zero mountaineering experience needed. Via Ferrata is a mix between hiking and climbing while you are secured on an iron wire next to the route.
Led by a highly experienced ACMG-certified guide, you’ll wear a harness that is always secured to the mountain’s steel cable pathway. This experience is designed to accommodate beginners looking for a little adventure while experiencing the beauty of Banff National Park, as well as for those who already have a little climbing experience. The only thing you need is a sense of adventure and a head for heights.
Two great experiences to choose from:
Explorer Route: You’ll get introduced to the equipment, head up a few pitches and cross the suspension bridge. This route is great for those who are looking for an introduction to Via Ferrata.
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Distance: 1km
- 2235m above sea level
- 145 elevation gain
Ridgewalker Route: This route is a half day excursion that takes you high up on the Norquay cliffs, climbing Sunrise, Memorial, and Vista buttresses and traversing the suspension bridge.
- Duration: 4 hours
- Distance: 1.4km
- 2300 above sea level
- 260 elevation gain
- Spectacular views of Banff National Park and the Rocky Mountains.
- A great way to experience the thrill of scaling a mountain in a safe and secure environment.
- Highly experienced ACMG-certified guide
- Orientation session
- All necessary safety and climbing equipment
When: Tours daily mid June – early October with morning and afternoon route departures*
*subject to availability
Need to know:
- Minimum age for participation is 12 years.
- Minimum weight is 40 kg. (88 lbs.). Maximum weight is 140kg. (308 lbs.)
- What to bring: all weather/waterproof outerwear, warm clothing layers, sturdy hiking footwear, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle, snack and a small backpack.
- Via Ferrata tours will be conducted in most weather. Routes may be shortened, delayed or cancelled due to very wet, snowy or icy conditions and lightning.
This Via Feratta climbing experience is a great experience gift for anyone with a love of adventure. It is sure to be unforgettable day out in the Canadian Rockies!
This Via Ferrata Tour takes place at Banff, Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience
CANADIAN SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE
The Mt Norquay Via Ferrata Climbing Adventure experience has been officially designated as part of the Signature Experiences Collection® by the Canadian Tourism Commission. The CTC believes that this esteemed group of selectees exemplify “once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences...and show the world what Canada’s tourism brand is all about”.