Sunset Whale Watching Cruise from Victoria BC
Experience majestic whales and other marine wildlife in the Salish Sea up close and personal with an eco-friendly wildlife and whale watching cruise from Victoria, British Columbia.
|Where:||Victoria, British Columbia|
|Price for:||1 Participant|
Avoid the crowds and travel straight to the whales.
Cruise out into the harbor from Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf with your guide as the sun starts sinking on the horizon. Departing shortly after dinner time, view whales in a unique atmosphere with fewer boats out on the water.
Led by a certified marine naturalist with a passion for the area’s marine wildlife, you’ll have the opportunity to see killer, gray, humpback and minke whales, along with other wildlife like otters, sea lions, porpoises, seals, and marine birds in their natural environment.
You will meet your naturalist/biologist guide at Fisherman’s Wharf and board your choice of either a covered or open boat. With your wildlife identification kit in hand, watch the waves for sightings of majestic whales. The expert guide on board the ship will inform you about each of the animals you spot and provide interesting details about their habits and lifestyle. You can listen to the whales with on-board hydrophones.
The boats maintain a respectful distance from the whales but occasionally these majestic and beautiful creatures like to swim right next to the vessel.
Guaranteed Whale Sightings - Between May and November, the chance of seeing whales is 95–98%. If you do not see any whales, you are invited back on complimentary tours until you see whales!
$5 from every tour ticket goes directly to support local wildlife.
- You will have the option to go on either a Semi-covered or Open-boat when you reserve your day/time with the tour provider.
- Semi-covered Boats: Offers protection from the weather while still offering an open-air viewing experience. It is great for passengers of all ages. The indoor experience is gentler while the outdoor experience can be a bit more extreme to suit your preference. You get to have the best of both worlds out on the water!
- Open Boats: An open-air experience that provides a 360° view of the breathtaking coast and wildlife.
- Both Semi-covers and Open Boats have washrooms on board.
- On-board naturalist/biologist.
- On-board wildlife identification kit,
- Hydrophones so you can hear the whales.
- Binoculars, sunglasses, sunscreen,hats, gloves, and blankets for a comfortable tour.
- Whale Guarantee Program
When: Tours daily May - August
Duration: 3 hours
Departure point: Fisherman's Wharf Park, Victoria, BC VIEW MAP
Need to know:
- Tours are not recommended for pregnant women and persons with serious neck and back problems or frail health.
- Children must be accompanied by adults.
- Dry storage is available on board all the boats to keep your items extra safe on wet days.
- Whale watching industry guidelines stipulate that operators remain 200 metres from killer whales in Canadian waters (or 200 yards in US waters) and 100m from baleen whales in Canadian waters (or 100 yards in US waters). Exceptions are made for vessels with their engines turned off when whales approach on their own inside these guidelines.
- Please remember to dress warmly and be prepared for all weather conditions. The ocean air is cooler relative to what you may be experiencing on land in the harbour.
- Your tour provider is a 100% carbon-neutral whale watching company.
Whether you're a first-time visitor to Vancouver Island or a local resident, this Victoria whale watching and wildlife tour at sunset is a truly unique experience.
Be sure to check this off your list of fun things to do in Victoria, BC.
How To Book Your Experience