Explore one of the world’s greatest markets and discover culinary delights on the 3-hour guided St. Lawrence Market and Old Town Toronto Food Tour.
Be prepared to discover the best hidden gastronomic delights this vibrant Toronto market has to offer!
Over 200 years old, with more than 120 vendors, Toronto’s St. Lawrence Market was dubbed one of the ‘Top 10 Food Markets’ in the world by National Geographic in 2011. Led by a culinary expert, you’ll tour the market and Old Town, visiting 12 different vendors for the St. Lawrence Market’s tastiest treats.
Your tour begins with a cup of wake-up juice at one of the six original coffee roasters in the city followed some freshly baked goodness at the St. Lawrence Market’s famous organic bakery.
As your guide is leading you through market, giving you a brief history lesson, you’ll get to sample Portuguese treats, candied salmon (sometimes referred to as Indian candy), authentic Jewish bagels, local Ontario cheeses and charcuterie, mustards, wild game, butter tarts, genuine Ukrainian perogies, and the iconic peameal bacon sandwich, enjoyed by chefs such as Guy Fieri, Anthony Bourdain, and Emeril Lagasse.
As you follow your guide behind the scenes to see some of the oldest origins of the market, they’ll share stories of how aboriginals traded goods from war canoes and fished for salmon behind where the market stands today, of the Toronto’s abolitionist movement, the Clown Riots, the underground whiskey tunnel during prohibition and how one of the richest, most powerful and famous women in the world earned her business acumen selling carrots in the basement of the market.
If you love food and you love history, this tour is for you!
- Enjoy 14 tastings at 12 different eateries and shops.
- Visit one of Toronto’s oldest neighbourhoods.
- Taste the iconic “Peameal Bacon Sandwich”, “Indian Candy”, Canadian game meat and local Ontario cheeses.
- All preselected food & drink.
- Small-group walking tour with led by culinary professional.
- Restaurant tax & gratuities.
Duration: 3.5 hours
When: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 10am and 2pm, Saturdays: 11am and 1pm
Meeting location: 93 Front Street East between Market St. & Jarvis St. Just inside the main doors to the market near the elevator.
Need to know:
- Vegetarian options available on request.
- Vegan & Gluten free options may be available for a small surcharge. Please inquire when you reserve your tour time.
- Please advise of food allergies or dietary restrictions when you reserve your tour time with the tour provider.
- This tour runs in all weather conditions. Please dress accordingly. Please wear comfortable footwear as a moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Proof of age may be required. Please bring government issued photo ID.
- Tour guide gratuities are graciously accepted at your discretion.
Whether you are visiting for the first time, or you are a local looking for fun things to do in Toronto, the St. Lawrence Market and Old Town Toronto Food Tour is a Toronto sightseeing adventure not to be missed!
The St. Lawrence Market and Old Toronto Food Tour takes place at Toronto, Ontario. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience