Explore the world's largest astronomy park with experts from The Jasper Planetarium in a world-exclusive dome theatre experience. Look through the largest telescope in the Rockies with knowledgeable astronomy experts.
The ultimate Jasper Dark Sky experience!
In 2011, Jasper was designated the world’s largest Dark Sky Preserve by the Royal Astronomy Society of Canada, (11,000-square-kilometre of stargazing), for its low light pollution that creates ideal conditions for astronomical viewing. In addition to being the world’s largest most accessible dark sky preserve, Jasper is also one of the smallest towns in North America with its very own planetarium.
First, you’ll join astronomy experts in the air-supported dome theatre for a live virtual tour of the Jasper dark sky preserve. Inside the planetarium, your guide will share local indigenous constellations, views of the Northern Lights from Jasper, and take you into space orbiting above the Rockies and to the edge of the universe…all in about 40 minutes.
Then, it’s outside the dome for an all-weather telescope experience where you’ll enjoy a guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescope in the Rockies, learn how telescopes work (and how to pick the right one for you to explore the sky), get tips on how to photograph the auroras and the Milky Way with your DSLR camera, and experience live views through the telescopes, guided by the knowledgeable staff.
- Planetarium dome experience.
- Astrophotography tips on how to capture the Milky Way and auroras with your camera.
- Indigenous music and storytelling (on select dates only).
- Relax under the stars on our dark sky viewing plateau.
- A tour of the largest telescope in the Rockies on the dark sky viewing plateau.
- Instant-replay of recent 4K Jasper sky imagery from the video telescope.
- S’mores and hot chocolate.
- Weather-permitting live views through the telescopes on the dark sky viewing plateau.
Duration: 60 - 90 minutes
- Winter experience: January – April Fairmont Jasper Lodge
- Spring / Summer / Fall Winter: May – October Marmot Lodge
Need to know:
- While the sky does not need to be completely clear to use our telescopes, clear skies cannot be guaranteed.If skies are too cloudy you will be offered a “rain check” to re-book for another date.
- A Planetarium is a domed theatre that simulates the night sky by use of a projection system. In contrast, an Observatory is a building that houses one-or-more telescopes, for live viewing, under a retractable domed roof.
- This experience operates rain or shine / clear sky or cloud covered
Whether you are looking for family fun things to do in Jasper or for a unique gift, the Jasper Planetarium and Telescope Experience is the ticket!
This dark sky stargazing experience takes place in Jasper, Alberta.
How To Book Your Experience