Jasper Planetarium and Telescope Experience
Experience an evening of cosmic discovery in Jasper National Park at the world’s largest accessible dark sky preserve. Enjoy a fun, interactive presentation in the Planetarium dome theatre followed by a guided tour of Jasper’s dark skies with the largest telescopes in the Rockies and astronomy experts.
|Price for:||1 Participant|
|Age restriction:||Minimum age for participation - 4 years|
Jasper Planetarium and Telescope Experience - SPRING / SUMMER / FALL
Jasper Planetarium and Telescope Experience - WINTER
The ultimate Jasper Dark Sky experience!
Join astronomy experts in the air-supported dome theatre for a virtual tour of the Jasper dark sky preserve. Inside the planetarium, your guide will share local indigenous constellations, views of the Northern Lights from Jasper, and take you into space orbiting above the Rockies and to the edge of the universe.
Then, it’s outside the dome for an all-weather telescope experience where you’ll enjoy a guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescopes in the Rockies, learn how telescopes work (and how to pick the right one for you to explore the sky), get tips on how to photograph the auroras and the Milky Way, and experience live views through the telescopes, guided by the knowledgeable staff.
For health and safety reasons, the telescope experience is currently ‘touchless’, using video-based telescopes as the primary observing tool. Guests never have to put their face up to a telescope eyepiece. Instead, live telescope views will appear on 4K TV screens, which provide the brightest, most colourful views of space possible. PLUS, there will be no waiting in line for telescope views as many people can view the screens at the same time! Where binoculars are available, they will be disinfected after each use. For hands-on activities, disposable plastic gloves are provided.
- Access to both the Planetarium Experience and Telescope experiences
- An interactive guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescopes in the Rockies.
- You can choose from the Evening Stargazing OR Early-evening solar/lunar/planet-gazing programs.
- Weather-permitting live views through the telescopes on the dark sky viewing plateau.
Duration: 1.5 - 2-hours
When: Available year-round Daily
Where: At the Fairmont Jasper Lodge VIEW MAP
Need to know:
- Minimum age for participation is 4 years.
- This experience operates rain or shine / clear skies or cloud covered.
- While the sky does not need to be completely clear to use our telescopes, clear skies cannot be guaranteed. If skies are too cloudy you will be offered a “rain check” to re-book for another date.
Whether you are looking for family fun things to do in Jasper or for a unique gift, theJasper Planetarium and Telescope Experience is the ticket!
How To Book Your Experience