Vancouver Railtown District Food Tour
Vancouver, British Columbia
NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR SALE
Railtown, just east of Gastown, is quickly becoming a top destination in the city for fashion schools, tech start-ups, artist lofts, and some of the city’s trendiest small restaurants. On the 2-hour Vancouver Railtown District Food Tour you’ll make 5 culinary stops nestled among some of the oldest houses standing in Vancouver.
Get ready for a stellar lunch as you taste and learn about the once thriving Japanese community that built this neighbourhood in the early 1900’s!
The tour starts in historic “Japantown” at the H.A.V.E Café, once the Shibuya clothing company, now a culinary training school that provides food service job training to individuals who experience barriers to employment. Here you’ll sample their famous tomato soup and grilled cheese made by their chefs in training. Comfort food at its best!
Next is one of the newest additions to the neighbourhood, the Uncommon Cafe, for some mind-blowing meatballs (recently voted best in the city by The Daily Hive) and a fresh local salad. After the Uncommon Café, the tour heads to the Settlement Building, an old converted steel warehouse. Here you’ll sample some local British Columbia beer and wines from the new Postmark Brewing, the only urban winery in Canada. Then you’ll head to the popular Railtown Cafe for a unique soup and salad and soup. To finish, you'll stop at the beautiful Cadeaux Bakery for something sweet.
- A 2-hour guided eating tour through Vancouver’s Railtown, a trendy up-and-coming neighborhood.
- Guided exploration of historic Little Japantown.
- Meet the chefs and owners of the establishments that make this area thrive.
- Sample local food and drinks in historic settings such as a historic Japanese gambling house and an old steel factory.
- This tour has been named a Canadian Signature Experience by the Canadian Tourism Commission,
- 10+ food & beverage samples from 5 different stops including a local beer sample and 2 wine samples.
- Small group walking tour with professional local guide.
When: November to April: Thursdays and Fridays 1:30pm – 3:30pm
May to October: Monday thru Friday 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Duration: 2 hours
Meeting place: H.A.V.E Café (374 Powell Street)
Need to Know:
- Price includes all food and beverage tastings and expert tour guide.
- This tour is suitable for all ages however there is an optional alcohol sample. The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19 years of age. You may be required to present your government issued ID to participate in alcohol tastings. Non-alcoholic beverages may be substituted.
- This tour has a vegetarian option that can be requested when you reserve your tour time. Please note that the tour can not accommodate for the following allergies: dairy, or severe peanut. Please note e tour can accommodate a gluten allergy however they cannot guarantee that every kitchen adheres to strict Celiac guidelines.
- Capacity: maximum 12 guests, minimum 4. Guests will be notified 24 hours in advance if the minimum is not met.
- Walking distance: less than 1.6 km. Total walking time is approximately 20 minutes.
- Tour runs regardless of weather.
- 5% of all ticket sales will be donated to support the H.A.V.E Café culinary training society.
Whether you are looking for a unique gift or a fun afternoon adventure of discovering the best places to eat in Vancouver, the Vancouver Railtown District Food Tour is the ticket!
The Vancouver Railtown District Food Tour takes place at Railtown, Vancouver, British Columbia. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience
CANADIAN SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE!
Vancouver Railtown Food Tour has been officially designated as part of the Signature Experiences Collection® by the Canadian Tourism Commission. The CTC believes that this esteemed group of selectees exemplify “once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences...and show the world what Canada’s tourism brand is all about”.