Urban Mushroom Forage, Toronto
Join a wild mushroom hunt in the scenic Don Valley, just minutes from Toronto’s downtown core. On the Urban Mushroom Forage walking tour your experienced guide will explain the ins and outs of sustainable foraging, give you tips and tricks on where and what to look for and show you how to identify certain species of wild mushrooms.
Once you learn what to look for, you’ll find them everywhere!
Your guide will meet you at Moccasin Trail Park. After an overview of what you're looking for on the forage and a safety briefing, it’s off to forage. Practicing sustainable foraging, you can pick what you come across. Although your guide can't guarantee mushrooms because that's up to Mother Nature, you can be guaranteed to have a fun filled morning walk in the woods and a chance to learn about the great outdoors.
Your expert forager will guide you along the way. Mushroom identification will happen when we return to the base camp where you can relax and talk mushrooming as your guide identifies your finds and tells you which mushrooms are safe to eat. You are welcome to take home what is determined to be edible.
When back at the base camp, Chef Scott will cook up some wild mushrooms so you may have a taste! You will be treated to a delicious gourmet lunch featuring local Ontario meats, cheeses, veggies, artisanal bread and homemade cookies for dessert.
The tour includes all preselected food, and beverages.
- Led by an expert forager and local culinary professional.
- Learn the basics of mushroom foraging and forage for wild edibles - minutes from downtown.
- Get an introduction to sustainability.
- Hike through the magnificent Don Valley.
- Enjoy a wild mushroom tasting and gourmet lunch.
- Escape the hustle and bustle of the city…while in the city.
- Learn to clean, cook and store wild mushrooms.
Duration: 4 hours approximately
- All preselected food & drink
- Small-group walking tour with local food and forage expert guide
Meeting location: Under the Toronto Food Tours Tent at Moccasin Trail Park, 55 Green Belt Dr, North York, Toronto
*This experience has limited space and only selected dates to choose from. Dates are subject to change.
Need to know:
- Please bring the following items with you: a sharp knife, a small basket, gloves, sunscreen, bug spray.
- This hike requires a moderate amount of physical activity (hill climbing, etc.).
- Vegetarian options available on request.
- Vegan & Gluten free options may be available for a small surcharge. Please inquire when you reserve your tour time.
- Please advise of food allergies or dietary restrictions when you reserve your tour time.
- Tours run in all weather conditions. Please dress accordingly. A moderate amount of walking is involved. Please wear comfortable footwear.
So whether you are looking for fun things to do in Toronto or for a gift for the foodie in your life, this unique food tour is the perfect experience gift!
The Urban Mushroom Forage experience takes place at Toronto, Ontario. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience