Rideau Canal Cycling, Paddling and Picnicking Day
Experience the very best of the Rideau Canal around Chaffey’s Lock with the adventure filled Rideau Canal Cycling, Paddling and Picnicking Day. You’ll be cycling on the Cataraqui Trail, part of the TransCanada Trail system, kayaking on the World Heritage Rideau Canal, and then enjoying a “Flavours of the Rideau” Gourmet picnic.
This tour will put you back in touch with nature and yourself!
Just an 45 minutes north of Kingston and 90 minutes south of Ottawa you can sample the great outdoors around the Rideau Canal’s Chaffey’s Lock, near Elgin.
Paddling - Experience paddling Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a Canadian Heritage River. The Rideau Lakes section of the Rideau Canal flows through the beautiful landscape of the Frontenac Arch UNESCO Biosphere and the Canadian Shield. The lush forests and dramatic granite outcrops are an iconic backdrop to your paddle and cycling adventure.
Cycling - The Cataraqui Trail is one of the most spectacular sections of the Trans Canada Trail. The hybrid trail bikes provided are good for touring the secondary roads or perfect for the Cataraqui Trail which is a mix of packed earth and stone dust.
“Flavours of the Rideau” Gourmet picnic - You can decide to bring your picnic with you in a panier on your bike or have it ready for you back at Chaffeys Lock at a picnic table next to the water.
- Half-day bike rental (up to 3hrs).
- Half-day kayak rental with paddles and safety equipment (up to 3hrs).
- Gourmet picnic.
- A navigation chart and a waterproof pouch for your camera or cell phone.
- Rear pannier, upon request.
- Gluten free options also available
Your picnic includes:
- Insulated picnic basket & tablecloth.
- Plates, cutlery, and condiments.
- Choose from smoked turkey, chicken salad sandwiches.
- Local Artisan cheese and smoked sausages.
- In season veggies.
- Freshly squeezed lemonade and desserts.
- 85% of Ingredients are locally sourced using farm fresh in season produce from Wendy’s Market.
- Gluten free are available. Please inquire when you reserve your tour time.
Duration: approximately 7 hours
Location:Chaffey's Lock, Elgin, Ontario VIEW MAP
Approximately 90 minute drive from Ottawa and 45 minute drive from Kingston
Need to know:
- What to bring: sunscreen, hat, snacks, water as well as a change of clothes.
- We recommend that you go cycling in the morning followed by your picnic lunch then paddling in the afternoon with an optional refreshing swim!
This cycling and kayaking experience along the Rideal Canal with a gourmet picnic is the perfect way to spend time together and enjoy the unique beauty that the Rideau Lakes region has to offer.
How To Book Your Experience