Paint Pots Snowshoeing Tour, Banff
Minimum age for participation - 8 years
The Paint Pots Snowshoeing Tour is a great introduction to snowshoeing that provides insight into the fur trade and its impact on Western Canada.
Search for snowshoe hare, moose and wolf tracks as you explore Kootenay National Park. Along the way you’ll hear stories of Banff’s indigenous people, fur traders and explorers who lived in and traveled through the Rockies. Snowshoe on an easy trail through the Vermilion River Valley to the Paint Pots, a cultural treasure within our National Parks. As you near the Paint Pots you’ll be rewarded with a unique Canadian treat, hot maple taffy!
The Paints Pots tour is a terrific introduction to snowshoeing in Banff as it is mostly flat terrain.
This tour is suitable for beginners and those of all fitness and ability levels. Today's modern snowshoes are light, with adjustable bindings and crampons that provide great stability and traction for even beginners to enjoy the sensation of lightly treading across deep snow.
Snowshoeing Tour highlights:
- Tokumn Creek Fire: See the destruction caused by the wildfire that threatened Banff in 2003.
- Suspension Bridge: The trail quickly leads to the rivers edge where you cross over the bridge.
- Authentic Trapping Tools: See some of the snares and traps once used by the fur traders and try your hand at snaring a guide!
- The Hudson's Bay Point Blanket Jacket: See the jacket that was used as a trade item between natives and one of the largest trading companies of its time.
- Paint Pots: A mineral deposit used by the First Nations people as a natural pigment often used for rock painting.
Duration: 4 hours
Walking distance: 3 km
Season: mid December to the end of March
- Certified guide
- Hiking Poles
- Hot Chocolate and a maple taffy snack
- Pickup and drop off from most hotels in Banff
Need to know:
- Minimum age for this tour is 8 years.
- Guests should dress in skiwear for this trip including hats, mitts and warm boots. We strongly recommend waterproof shoes and pants, as you will likely be walking in deep snow.
- Winter boots can be provided if requested at the time of booking.
- Pick up and drop off can be made from most hotels in Banff.
- Small group size.
- Don't forget your camera!
Whether you are looking for a unique gift idea or fun things to do in Banff in winter,, the Paint Pots Snowshoeing Tour is the ticket.
The Paint Pots Snowshoeing Tour takes place at Banff, Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience