Experience spectacular views as your guide leads you through a maze of colossal pillars of ice and surreal sculptures along a series of catwalks to breathtaking frozen waterfalls. It is no surprise the Canadian Tourism Commission has awarded this Johnston Canyon Icewalk as a Canadian Signature Experience.
A world of frozen waterfalls and pillars of blue ice.
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk traverses a series of steel catwalks that give incredible views of the Johnston Canyon below. You’ll travel through prime wildlife habitat and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed. On the Johnston Canyon Icewalk there are some wildlife watching opportunities on the Bow Valley Parkway wildlife corridor.
When you arrive at the canyon, your guide will make sure everyone is safe and comfortable, by providing ice-cleats that strap on over your winter shoes which make walking on the sometimes icy trail, simple. The suspended catwalks, built into the limestone walls, make this an easy trip for everyone. This tour does not walk on the ice.
Your guide will share with you, once inside the canyon, a wealth of stories, from the gold and silver swindle of 'Silver City', to pointing out the tiny ancient seabed fossils that dot the canyon walls, to modern day thrill seekers ice-climbing adventures.
Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk: This is the Icewalk at Johnston Canyon ... as you've never seen it before. Using powerful flashlights and headlamps, your tour guide will illuminate the Canyon, the spectacular frozen rock walls and the "Cathedral of Ice" at the Lower Falls, offering a truly unique perspective on this stunning environment. The Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk is all about heightening your senses, appreciating the darkness, the scents of the fresh pine forest and enjoying the silence of a night spent beneath the stars.
What is the difference between the day tour to Johnston Canyon and the Evening Icewalk?
The day and evening tour are different lengths of time. The day tour is 4 hours long and the evening is 2 and a half hours. The daytime tour goes to the upper and lower falls and the evening icewalk goes to the lower falls. The evening icewalk includes a headlamp, which you get to keep at the end of the tour.
- Travel through prime wildlife habitat on the way to the trailhead.
- Trek along steel walkways built into Johnston Canyon walls giving an airy view of the gorge below.
- Walk through a natural cave feature for a unique view of the lower falls.
- See spectacular, gigantic pillars of ice.
Duration: Daytime Icewalk: 4 hours Evening Icewalk: 2.5 hours
Walking distance: Daytime Icewalk: 5.4 km Evening Icewalk: 2.2 km
Season: December – April
- Certified guide
- Hiking poles
- Ice cleats
- Hot Chocolate and a maple cookie snack
- Hotel pickup and drop off (Banff only)
Need to know:
- Minimum age for this tour is 8 years.
- Elevation Gain: Daytime Icewalk: 135m Evening Icewalk: 65 m.
- Guests must be prepared for mountain weather and dress in full ski wear including thermals, a sweater, a winter jacket, snow pants, winter boots, gloves and a hat.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour, particularly the daytime icewalk.
- All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Pick up and drop off can be made from most hotels in Banff.
- Maximum group size: 12 people.
- Don't forget your camera!
Whether you are looking for a unique gift idea or fun things to do in Banff, the Johnston Canyon Icewalk is the ticket.
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk takes place at Banff Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience
CANADIAN SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE!
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk has been officially designated as part of the Signature Experiences Collection® by the Canadian Tourism Commission. The CTC believes that this esteemed group of selectees exemplify “once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences...and show the world what Canada’s tourism brand is all about”.