Inglewood Food Tour, Calgary
Escape the stereotypes of Calgary, get the real story of the mavericks that settled this city and taste the pasta, artisan cheese, sausage, spices, tea, sweets and beverages of the food mavericks that make this neighbourhood so delicious.
The Inglewood Food Tour is the story of the mavericks that settled Calgary and the foodie mavericks that brought Calgary’s first neighbourhood back to life. You’ll really gain an insight to the spirit that makes this city tick through the food, fun and adventure of Inglewood.
This tasty walking food tour, with 7 food and 4 beverage tastings, starts off at the home of the local football legends turned “sausage kings”. Enjoy a warm welcome to the neighbourhood accompanied by some hearty Italian sausage and local beer.
Next, you’ll learn the history of Calgary’s “big four” mavericks while enjoying an elegant lunch at Rouge, the former residence of A.E. Cross, and eating some of Alberta’s signature foods. Every dish has something from the on-site garden, home to two beehives.
Along the way, you’ll try Spolombo’s sausages, blend spices with the masters, learn to cut pineapple with Japanese kitchen knives, pop a cake pop at the neighbourhood bakery, enjoy a tea talk and tasting and toast the afternoon with freshly made artisanal Italian cheeses and finish strong by travelling back in time to a favourite watering hole of prohibition era Calgary.
- Rouge Restaurant
Built in 1891, this historical building is home to the highest ranking Canadian restaurant to make San Pellegrino's Top 100 restaurants. Here, you’ll start your tour with a delicious lunch before strolling around the neighbourhood to discover the key food artisans, chefs and restaurants in the neighbourhood where Calgary was founded.
Knifewear features the very best in hand forged Japanese kitchen knives. Here you’ll have a fun demonstration & taste of something completely unexpected.
- The Silk Road Spice Merchant
It's a cook's dream. Every spice you could ever want all under one roof. Here's where we "blend".
Discover Spolumbo’s original Calabrian recipes with no fillers or gluten - this is how sausage was meant to be enjoyed.
- The Tea Trader
This is Calgary's original tea shop featuring whole leaf teas from the world's finest tea gardens.
- Bite Groceteria
This is the neighbourhood grocer complete with deli and wonderful bakery where you’ll be treated to oversized cake pops.
- Without Papers Pizza
House made artisanal cheese combined with a few of Alberta's signature products and wine will make this stop as fun as tasty.
- The Nash
Built as a boarding house for railway workers, famous for prohibition "whisky running" you'll check out this watering hole cum modern day speak easy.
- All preselected food & drink; 7 food & 4 beverage tastings.
- Small-group walking tour with local guide.
- Restaurant tax & gratuities. Tour guide gratuities are graciously accepted at your discretion.
Duration: 3 hours approximatley. Noon start time.
When: April - October Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Need to know:
- Tour stops are subject to change.
- All food tastings provide a very ample and satisfying lunch.
- This tour is for all age groups and all fitness levels.
- Small group tour, limited to 14 people.
- Walking distance = 5 blocks
- Please advise of food allergies or dietary restrictions when you reserve your tour time (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, celiac, allergy). The tour provider will do their best to accomodate your needs.
- Guests under 18 will receive substitutions for any alcohol on the tour.
- Tours run in all weather conditions. Please dress accordingly. A moderate amount of walking is involved. Please wear comfortable footwear.
- Plenty of fluids are provided on the tour but if you get very thirsty you may want to bring your own water bottle.
- Proof of age may be required. Please bring government issued photo ID.
So whether you are looking to learn more about where to eat in Calgary, for a unique gift or to enjoy a fun afternoon, this tour of some of the best places to eat in Calgary is the ticket!
The Inglewood Food Tour takes place at Calgary, Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience