The Inglewood Food Tour is the story of the Mavericks that settled Calgary, our First Nations and the foodie trend-setters that regenerated Calgary’s first neighbourhood. You’ll really gain an insight to the spirit that makes this city tick through the food, fun and adventure of Inglewood.
This tasty walking food tour, with 5 food and 4 beverage tastings, starts off with a warm welcome to the neighbourhood at the studio of Alberta Aboriginal artists, accompanied by a tasting of Alberta’s key indigenous foods – Saskatoon berries and bison.
Next, you’ll learn the history of Calgary’s “big four” Mavericks while enjoying an elegant lunch at Rouge, the former residence of A.E. Cross, and eating some of Alberta’s signature foods. Every dish has something from the on-site garden, home to two beehives.
The tour continues to today’s cutting edge culinary mavericks including Knifewear, home to a modern day blacksmith of Japanese kitchen knives, Silk Road Spice Merchants’ spice emporium and Bite Grocer and Eatery for a luscious dessert. Your Calgary Inglewood Food Tour finishes strong with a trip back in time to a favourite prohibition era watering hole, Calgary at The Nash.
You’ll really gain an insight into the spirit that makes Calgary tick and we hope you’ll bring that Maverick spirit into your own lives.
- Moonstone Creation Native Gallery & Gift Shop
Here you’ll learn about Alberta's first Mavericks, their food and their culture.
- Rouge Restaurant
Built in 1891, this historical building is home to the highest ranking Canadian restaurant to make San Pellegrino's Top 100 restaurants.
Knifewear features the very best in hand forged Japanese kitchen knives. Here you’ll have a fun demonstration & taste of something completely unexpected.
- The Silk Road Spice Merchant
It's a cook's dream. Every spice you could ever want all under one roof. Here's where we "blend"..
- Bite Grocer & Eatery
This is the neighbourhood grocer complete with deli, butcher and wonderful bakery where you’ll be able to enjoy a delicious dessert in the café.
- The Nash
Built as a boarding house for railway workers, famous for prohibition "whisky running" you'll check out this watering hole cum modern day speak easy.
- All preselected food & drink: 5 food & 4 beverage tastings.
- Small-group walking tour with local guide.
- Restaurant tax & gratuities. Tour guide gratuities are graciously accepted at your discretion.
Duration: 3.5 hours approximatley. 11:00am start time.
When: April - October Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Need to know:
- Tour stops are subject to change.
- All food tastings provide a very ample and satisfying lunch.
- This tour is for all age groups and all fitness levels.
- Small group tour, limited to 14 people.
- Walking distance is 5 blocks
- Please advise of food allergies or dietary restrictions when you reserve your tour time (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, celiac, allergy). The tour provider will do their best to accomodate your needs.
- Guests under 18 will receive substitutions for any alcohol on the tour.
- Tours run in all weather conditions. Please dress accordingly. A moderate amount of walking is involved. Please wear comfortable footwear.
- Plenty of fluids are provided on the tour but if you get very thirsty you may want to bring your own water bottle.
- Proof of age may be required. Please bring government issued photo ID.
So whether you are looking to learn more about where to eat in Calgary, for a unique gift or to enjoy a fun afternoon, this tour of some of the best places to eat in Calgary is the ticket!
The Inglewood Food Tour takes place at Calgary, Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience