Enjoy Banff the cowboy way! Take a horseback or wagon ride along the base of Sulphur Mountain, enjoy a BBQ feast western style, and return along the banks of the Bow River. This adventure is perfect for a group of friends or a unique family excursion in the spectacular wilds of Banff National Park.
Enjoy a Banff cowboy experience!
Get a taste of the mountain air with a trail ride along the base of Sulphur Mountain. As you are horseback riding or enjoy a relaxing covered wagon ride along the Bow River, try and spot wildlife hidden in the thick brush. Don’t forget to look up for eagles and osprey soaring in the skies above.
You’ll ride your horse through meadows, marshes and lush grassy fields before arriving at 3 Mile Cabin, where you’ll unwind and play some genuine cowboy games like lassoing and horseshoe throwing. After you have worked up an appetite, feast on some hearty BBQ favourites such as steak and home-made baked beans.
On the return trip, you’ll trot up to the Windy Knoll where you can take in some of the most spectacular views of the Rockies.
If someone is not up for horseback riding, they can take a peaceful covered wagon ride along Bow River to 3 Mile Cabin instead and then join you for the cowboy BBQ feast.
No prior horseback riding experience is required.
- Ride along the Bow River while watching for wildlife such as ground squirrels, beavers and porcupines scurrying around the marshes and meadows.
- After a hearty meal the ride climbs up and around the Windy Knoll, where you can see dazzling views of the surrounding mountains.
- Relax at 3 Mile Cabin by the Sundance Canyon trail, while your BBQ lunch or dinner is being prepared.
- Free time to play horseshoes or relax at the 3 Mile Cabin campsite
Duration: 3 hours
Season: Tours daily May to September*
*subject to availability
- One-hour horseback ride along the Bow River to 3 Mile Cabin where you will enjoy a western cookout, followed by a one-hour horseback ride along Sulphur Mountain Trail.
- Brief horseback riding instruction.
A friendly horse.
Lead and tail cowboys to guide your horse or wagon ride.
All necessary equipment.
BBQ lunch or dinner (BBQ steak, baked potato, cowboy baked beans, rolls, salads, dessert squares, coffee, tea, hot chocolate & juice).
Need to know:
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Maximum weight is 250 lbs
- Dress for the weather. Please wear closed toed shoes and long pants.
- Children will not be paired with an adult. They must ride their own horse.
- Children under 8 years can ride on the wagon.
- Banff Trail Riders is committed to the health of our horses and the safety of our guests.The minimum age and maximum weight requirements are strictly enforced. As part of the check-in process, guests may be required to confirm their current weight on a scale and provide proof of the child’s age. In the event that these requirements are not met, the booking will be forfeited without a refund.
- Children aged 15 years and under must have someone 18 years and older with them.
- An understanding of basic English is required for all horseback rides, so that you can understand simple instructions from the guides.
- For safety purposes helmets are provided and are mandatory to be worn by all riders.
- Please note that guests cannot bring a backpack on the horse.
- Don’t forget your camera.
If you are looking for an unforgettable gift or something fun to do with wide open mountain views then this Banff experience is the ticket!
The Banff Cowboy Cookout and Horseback or Covered Wagon Ride experience takes place at Banff, Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience
CANADIAN SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE!
The Cowboy Cookout Lunch & Horseback / Covered Wagon Ride experience has been officially designated as part of the Signature Experiences Collection® by the Canadian Tourism Commission. The CTC believes that this esteemed group of selectees exemplify “once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences...and show the world what Canada’s tourism brand is all about”.