The Lost Souls of Gastown Walking Tour
Vancouver, British Columbia
The Lost Souls of Gastown walking tour is a gothic journey into Vancouver city's earliest and darkest days, to when this town was ruled by whiskey, guns and gold. Designed for adult audiences, the Lost Souls of Gastown is both a walking tour and a theatre piece that weaves through back streets and alleyways to a dramatic finale in the heart of Gastown’s Maple Tree Square.
A gothic adventure
On the Lost Souls of Gastown walking tour, audiences are led by a storyteller in-character as a resident of Vancouver’s past. As you navigate the city’s oldest spaces, the guide weaves a tale of their personal experiences living in old Vancouver. Enjoy an immersive theatre performance featuring Vancouver’s oldest stories played out on Vancouver's oldest streets.
Venture into Vancouver's earliest and most gruesome history, Vancouver was the Granville Townsite, an aggressive frontier town of vagabonds, thieves, hustlers and bawdy girls.
You'll meet Vancouver’s first madam, who built a glamorous Gastown bawdy house before the city even had a school. Catch the horror-filled tale of a long-forgotten plague that clutched the city in its feverish grasp. Relive the terror of the fire that consumed Gastown in minutes, sending people racing for their lives down Water Street.
Relive the tale of John Bray and his mysterious death, along with stories of the events and people that shaped early Vancouver. The Lost Souls of Gastown Walking Tour is not a ghost tour. It’s a gothic theatre adventure that pulls you so deep into the darkened alleys and swirling lamplight of Gastown’s seedy past. You may have a hard time finding your way back out.
Places You’ll Visit:
- Maple Tree Square
- Holy Rosary Cathedral
- The Gassy Jack statue
- The iconic Gastown Steamclock
- Hudson’s Bay Company warehouse
- Water Street – Vancouver’s oldest street
- Hotel Europe – world famous flatiron building
- The CPR railyards – once 10 feet underwater
- Sites of the city’s first saloon, first jailhouse and first bawdy house
- Hotel Victorian – Vancouver’s oldest hotel
Duration: approximately 1 hour 45 minutes
When: March 01 - November 30 Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights: 8pm
Meeting location: Cathedral Square, Dunsmuir & Richards streets
End point: Maple Tree Square, Gastown – a short walk from the start point
Need to know:
- In the summer please bring a sweater or jacket, since it can get chilly in the evenings. In the spring or fall please bring gloves and a hat. We do recommend bringing an umbrella.
- Forbidden Vancouver`s tours are designed for adult audiences and do contain references to adult themes. The tours are not recommended for children. However, teenagers have come on tours and thoroughly enjoy the experience. As a benchmark, if you are comfortable with your teenager watching CSI, then you won’t have a problem with them coming on one of our tours.
- The tour is wheelchair accessible.
- The tours happen rain or shine. Vancouver can be a little wet at times, so we recommend you bring an umbrella. The tour has been crafted with routes that have scenes under cover wherever possible – using roofs, archways, awnings or even indoors. So there will always be opportunities to stay dry on the tour.
So whether you are looking for unique things to do in Vancouver or you’re looking for the perfect gift for Canadian history buffs, this tour will show you Vancouver from a new perspective.
The Lost Souls Of Gastown Walking Tour takes place at Vancouver, British Columbia. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience