Tastes of Chinatown Toronto Tour
Explore the sights, smells and tastes of Toronto’s Chinatown. Your knowledgeable guide will lead through a tasting experience that begins with a traditional Chinese Bakery and will include Vietnamese, Cantonese, Szechwan, Thai, Mandarin, Shanghai and Beijing delicacies.
Discover the tasty secrets.
Taste your way through one of the largest Chinatowns in the Western Hemisphere! Sometimes referred to as the "Original Chinatown", this Toronto neighbourhood is a beehive of activity with its many shops, cheap housewares, fruit and vegetable stalls, traditional Chinese herbal medicine dispensaries and of course, tons of great food.
Your walking tour will showcase six different authentic Asian eateries where you will taste a total of 10 different dishes. After a brief history lesson of Toronto, you will set off for your first tasting at a traditional Chinese bakery for an authentic delicacy that celebrates the Cantonese Festival of Spring. From here, you'll duck into a hole-in-the-wall joint that makes the best char sui boa in Toronto.
Next on the walking tour, you'll visit one of Chinatown’s oldest and most authentic restaurants to taste a dish from the Fukien province of China, that Chef Scott has nicknamed “Chinese Risotto”, along with the best dry-fried squid in the city. A few steps further down the street, you'll get to taste and watch as a favorite street vendor creates for you his family’s version of a Chinese crepe.
Then it’s off for a Hong Kong dim sum experience where you will sit and taste four original dishes while learning the history and traditions of dim sum. Next, it’s time to walk off the feast by browsing an Asian food market before making a pit-stop for “window food”. Last, but not least, to channel your inner chef, the tour ends at Chef Scott’s favorite kitchen store which is a venerable “candy land” for some of Toronto’s top chefs.
The Toronto food tour includes all preselected food and beverages (ten authentic Asian dishes) and restaurant gratuities.
- Visit one the largest Chinatowns in North America
- Get a brief history of Chinatown Toronto, hear funny stories and meet the locals
- Led by a local guide
- Enjoy 10 dishes at 6 eateries, including a traditional Hong Kong Dim Sum experience
- Explore an Asian Food Market
- Great for locals and tourists alike
- All preselected food & drink - 10 dishes at 6 different eateries
- Small-group walking tour with local guide
- Restaurant tax & gratuities (Tour guide gratuities are graciously accepted at your discretion)
When: Thursday thru Monday 11:30am
Meeting location: Tour leaves promptly at 11:30am from the south-west corner of Spadina Avenue and College Street in front of the Rexall drugstore (474 Spadina)
Need to know:
- Vegetarian options available on request.
- Vegan & Gluten free options may be available for a small surcharge. Please inquire when you reserve your tour time.
- Please advise of food allergies or dietary restrictions when you reserve your tour time.
- Tours run in all weather conditions. Please dress accordingly. A moderate amount of walking is involved, please wear comfortable footwear.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Proof of age may be required, please bring government issued photo ID.
Whether you are visiting for the first time, or you are a local looking for fun things to do in Toronto, the Tastes of Old Chinatown Toronto food tour is definitely a unique, fun dining experience and a great adventure gift.
The Tastes of Chinatown Toronto takes place at Toronto, Ontario. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience