The Columbia Icefields Parkway Tour is a full day sightseeing tour that travels through a landscape carved by glaciers and opened by pioneers. The tour begins with a stop at world famous Lake Louise. It then continues along the Columbia Icefields Parkway, rated as one of the most scenic highways in the world. You’ll marvel at glaciers remaining from the last ice age while being entertained with stories of early explorers who opened the valleys.
Enjoy an alpine picnic before visiting the Athabasca Glacier and Columbia Icefield Discovery Centre. On nice days, the tour stops at Coleman Picnic Area, by the Saskatchewan River, but if the weather is off, lunch will be at the Columbia Icefield.
Next, you’ll board the Ice Explorer to take you right onto the glacier, where you're allowed to safely walk on the ice.
At every stop, you will have the opportunity to get off the bus and stretch your legs. All of the viewpoints are a short walk (100 m or less) from where the bus parks, but if time allows you will have the opportunity to explore further.
- Lake Louise - A brief photo stop at the most famous lake in Canada.
- Crowfoot Glacier - One of the day's many opportunities to view a glacier up close.
- Peyto Lake - The classic emerald green jewel of the Canadian Rockies.
- Saskatchewan Crossing - A rest stop/coffee break.
- Mountain Picnic Lunch - Enjoy lunch at a scenic stop along the Icefields Parkway.
- Columbia Icefield - Venture onto the Athabasca Glacier on the Ice Explorer and visit the Columbia Icefield Discovery Centre.
- Bow Lake - The headwaters of the mighty Bow River.
Duration: 10 hours
Season: June 01 to September 30
- Ice Explorer Tour
- Friendly, certified guide
- Small group sizes
- Hands on interpretive tools
- Hotel pick up and drop off at most Banff hotels
- Mountain picnic lunch
- Use of binoculars
Need to know:
- What to wear: Warm clothes, including hats, gloves and warm shoes. It can get very cold on the Athabasca Glacier. We suggest that you dress in layers and according to the weather. For shoes, we would suggest closed toed shoes. It is also recommended to take sunglasses, as it can be very bright on the glacier.
- Early and late season road/trail closures may limit access to some areas.
- Remember your camera!
This full day Columbia Icefield glacier adventure provides you with the perfect opportunity to enjoy the beauty and grandeur of this natural wonder.
The Columbia Icefields Parkway Tour takes place from Banff, Alberta. VIEW MAP
How To Book Your Experience